01 April 2011

MMMM...Deep-Fried Tortellini!

Deep-Fried Tortellini
  • Cook frozen cheese tortellini according to the directions, and drain.  I used ~30 pieces of this stuff.  Heat the oil in your deep-fat-fryer to ~350°.
  • Crack 2 eggs and break yolks and stir them together with whites.  Dunk pasta into eggs.
  • Then dunk pasta into a mixture of cornflake crumbs and grated Parmesan cheese.
  • Deep fry for ~5 minutes.

Garlic Butter Dipping Sauce
I actually wasn't completely satisfied with how my sauce turned out, so I'll give you what I actually did in regular type and what I will try next time/recommend underlined.
  • Melt 10 tbsp of butter in a saucepan. Or try melting 16tbsp/one-third cup of butter in a saucepan.
  • Add a dash each of red pepper flakes, dried minced onion, sea salt, fresh-ground pepper, basil, oregano, and parsley.
  • Add 2-3 cloves of garlic, pressed.
  • I splashed in a random amount of White Zinfandel*.  I suggest measuring it out.  I think 2 tbsp would be about right . I put too much and it overpowered the buttery taste I wanted.
  • I also put in a bunch of shredded cheddar and grated Parmesan. Omit the cheese.  It just clumps and ruins the texture.  Your sauce will be much better as a butter sauce than masquerading as a cheese sauce.
  • Bring to a boil quickly, then reduce heat, put a lid on the pan, and simmer until dinner is ready; stir occasionally.
* I may or may not be allergic to alcohol.  I get sick when I cook with alcohol; the fumes make me nauseated and headachey.  So I cook with this.  I don't particularly care for the taste as a beverage, but I like the flavor in sauces and I don't feel sick inhaling it.

EDIT: Tried it again tonight (4-5-11) and made a few variations.  I did use 1/3 cup butter, and the flavor was better, but there was too much sauce for just the 2 of us.  Added a splash of EVOO, which gave it a better texture.  I nixed the cheese and reduced the white Zin to just a capful. Our eggs were bad, so I used EVOO to "glue" the breading to the tortellini.  Deep fried these with the tortellini.

No comments: