- Cook frozen cheese tortellini according to the directions, and drain. I used ~30 pieces of this stuff. Heat the oil in your deep-fat-fryer to ~350°.
- Crack 2 eggs and break yolks and stir them together with whites. Dunk pasta into eggs.
- Then dunk pasta into a mixture of cornflake crumbs and grated Parmesan cheese.
- Deep fry for ~5 minutes.
Garlic Butter Dipping Sauce
I actually wasn't completely satisfied with how my sauce turned out, so I'll give you what I actually did in regular type and what I will try next time/recommend underlined.
- Melt 10 tbsp of butter in a saucepan. Or try melting 16tbsp/one-third cup of butter in a saucepan.
- Add a dash each of red pepper flakes, dried minced onion, sea salt, fresh-ground pepper, basil, oregano, and parsley.
- Add 2-3 cloves of garlic, pressed.
- I splashed in a random amount of White Zinfandel*. I suggest measuring it out. I think 2 tbsp would be about right . I put too much and it overpowered the buttery taste I wanted.
- I also put in a bunch of shredded cheddar and grated Parmesan. Omit the cheese. It just clumps and ruins the texture. Your sauce will be much better as a butter sauce than masquerading as a cheese sauce.
- Bring to a boil quickly, then reduce heat, put a lid on the pan, and simmer until dinner is ready; stir occasionally.
EDIT: Tried it again tonight (4-5-11) and made a few variations. I did use 1/3 cup butter, and the flavor was better, but there was too much sauce for just the 2 of us. Added a splash of EVOO, which gave it a better texture. I nixed the cheese and reduced the white Zin to just a capful. Our eggs were bad, so I used EVOO to "glue" the breading to the tortellini. Deep fried these with the tortellini.