28 March 2011

Cookie Painting

K, so I know it's been a while since Superbowl, but I wasn't blogging then. I wanted to share the cookies I painted with y'all.




There are, of course, Steelers and Packers helmets, since they were in the Superbowl.  I also made 2 each of the helmets from the church fantasy football league, of which Hubby is the instigator.  The trophies have the church league logo on them.  The logos were all designed by the brilliant and OCD Pastor Kevin, whom I consider to be a genius!
The shapes were cookie cutters from a 100 cookie cutter set I got as a bridal shower gift, oh, eons ago.  I think it was Wilson?  The paint was egg yolk, food coloring, and condensed milk.  Except the white paint.  It is impossible to make white paint out of egg yolk.  For that I had to use cornstarch, condensed milk, and water.  I painted the cookies before baking them.  Most of the colors stayed pretty true to their original after baking, which impressed me greatly.  The cookies were my Auntie's sugar cookie recipe, which is the best sugar cookie recipe in the world.  I've been making it since I was a little girl, but I'd only ever made them for Christmas until now.  I was excited to find another reason to use the recipe. 
Aunt Julie's Superb Sugar Cookies
Ingredients: 2 cups sifted flour; 1 tsp cream of tartar; 1/2tsp baking soda; 1/2 tsp salt; 3/4 cup granulated sugar; 1/2 cup melted shortening (I use Crisco in these little trays that look like stick butter and melt it in a glass bowl in the microwave); 2 eggs; 1 tsp vanilla
Recipe:
  1. Measure sifted flour, cream of tartar, soda, and salt into flour sifter and sift into medium bowl.
  2. Grease baking sheets (I use Pam original flavored cooking spray).
  3. Measure sugar and shortening into large bowl and stir until well blended.
  4. Break eggs into small bowl and beat well with egg beater.  Stir with vanilla into sugar/shortening mix.
  5. Gradually add flour mixture, beating well after each addition.  Chill bowl of cookie dough until it can be easily handled before rolling/cutting.  (I also tend to sprinkle flour on a pastry mat, my rolling pin, and my hands).
Bake at 375 degrees F for 10-12 minutes.

These also taste terrific plain, with buttercream frosting, or with a lemon/sugar glaze.

Keep it Kute!