10 August 2011

Ministry opportunity for even the most amateur seamstress

My denomination is participating in a mission project.  The goal is to make simple sundresses (most have been from pillowcases) to send to impoverished girls in Africa.  If you would like to participate, here is the address of my church:

First Covenant Church
3616 N. Bigelow St.
Peoria, IL 61604-1600

You can send your completed dresses by September 12, 2011 at the latest if you want them to reach this ministry.  However, if you start working on them but miss the deadline, I'm certain other local ministries would be interested.

Directions for Pillowcase Dress 



  1. Choose your pillowcase.  A standard size will make a dress for a young child, queen will make a dress for a medium sized child or teen, and king will make a teen to adult sized dress.
  2. Cut off the closed end, as close to the seam as possible.  This will be the top of your dress.
  3. Cut armholes with the following templates: 

4. Fold over top edges and iron to create a smooth edge.  Then repeat, so that you will have a tunnel for the elastic.  Cut elastic into two equal lengths: 6" (7", 8") and sew one end inside the edge of the casing.  Then sew the casing, pulling the elastic through as you sew, creating a tunnel around the elastic.  Finally, sew the elastic to the other edge of the casing.
5. Cut two 50" lengths of double fold bias tape. Open tape and turn under 1/4" on each end, then refold tape and iron to finish edges.
6.  Open tape again and baste one edge along the inside of each armhole. Refold, encasing armhole, and stitch along the whole of the bias tape.  The tape should be centered so that several inches extend on either side of the pillowcase; these will be the shoulder ties.
7.  Trim dress as desired.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions.  I have modified this pattern from two other patterns I was given.  Both patterns were unclear to me and I needed the help of a more experienced seamstress on the first dress, but I think that was mostly because of the ambiguity of the patterns.  I hope my pattern is easy to understand.

Here is a picture of me modeling the adult dress I made, and a picture of all 4 dresses I made (1 large, 1 medium, 2 small):


Keep it Kute!

No comments: